Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Powerman Alabama


The last time I made it to Alabama for Powerman Alabama was 2001. Though I have entered a few times since then, one thing or another seemed to keep me away from good ol' Irondale and one of the older duathlons in the USA. That's why I was so happy to finally make it back to race.

Unlike my last Alabama trip, when Phil accompanied me, I was solo for this go 'round. It is easy to forget how much having a man servant makes a difference when schlepping gear and navigating everywhere!

The morning of my plane flight, I had a moment of fright when I thought it might not be possible to load my gear into my aging and load-capacity-challenged Mercury Capri. The 'rat car' is not really intended to haul bikes, luggage and the like. Of course being that I have had the car since '97, I have learned t0 make it work. Let's just say I was very lucky to have packed the Blue T14 in a softcase AND that it was a top down day. Otherwise, I might not have made it to Alabama again. Anyhoo...with the car loaded and my trusty Mapquest maps, I made it to the Park SFO offsite long term parking, parked the car and hauled my gear down 5 levels, caught the shuttle to the airport terminal and did the shuffle dragging gear to the counter. Without much ado I soon was on the plane and en route to Birmingham.

Frankly, I did give much thought to the flight pattern or any stop overs I would have on this trip. That's why I feel a little sheepish upon arriving in Memphis, TN. There was a bit of a delay due to Mother Nature's electric fury. As I sat in the gate lounge I realized I never even thought of the possibility of a weather delay. No problem though, I had plenty of time and really, what can you do anyway! I met some nice folks, people watched, picked up some food and waited.

Eventually, I landed in Birmingham and was onto the next task; picking up the Thrifty rental car. Again, smooth sailing to the counter, picked up the keys (stall 5 - a PT Cruiser) and gather up my luggage and bike. I was so psyched to be able to open the rear hatch, put down the rear seats and voila - slide the bag and bike in - no problem. What a difference. It sure beat trying to squish everything into the Rat Car.

Directionally challenged, I did end up making it to the hotel, albeit after a few U-turns here and there. Whew, this means I would actually make it to race the 2007 Powerman Alabama!

Race morning. You know, I think it is always cold at 5am when its time to set up for a race, especially in March. However, this was ccccold and wet. I was one of the first elites in transition. The rest were smart enough to stay warm for a bit longer. Once the bike was set up the question was of what to wear. Normally cooler temperatures have little effect on what I wear when running. I think its my Central New York upbringing, snow and the beloved wind chill effect. Basically it takes a lot to get me into more than a light layer for running. Adding a bike in between, some high winds, sleet and rain and then it becomes a big question mark. Ultimately I decided on knee warmers, arm warmers and even a lightweight vest for the bike. I'll tell you, I'm glad I had that gear on.

As for the race, this is the short version. I came off the first 8k run in 11th or so, finished the 53k bike in 2nd and crossed the line after another 8k run in 3rd place. I had the fastest bike split and two runs that were good enough to accomplish my goal - earn my slot to the ITU Long Course Duathlon World Championships. (oh yeah, and a check to help cover Toonsis unexpected vet bill when I returned!). I was very pleased with my race. Boy did it hurt. I was reminded why I like duathlons so much - I really feel like I am racing, because I am in the hunt from the start. With a TON of work, in the future I will exit the swims in triathlon in a position to race more like I did at Powerman.

I really enjoyed reconnecting with old duathlon friends, Deanna & Don Frank (thanks Don for the cheering!), Marjan Huizing, Bianca Simpson and many more. I met a whole bunch of new friends, too. That is what this lifestyle is all about. Health, friends and good times!
Congratulations to Alisha Lion who won the race - her second du win in '07. You go girl!
Thanks to Blue Competition Cycles, Jagwire, Pro Gold, Powerbar and Dr. Jung at Jung & Jung Chiropractic to name just a few of the folks who help me make it happen.

Next stop...Wildflower...right after some medical treatment for my back.
-Rach

No comments: